Jun 20, 2011

My Top 5 NES Games

I grew up in the NES generation. I had one at 5 years old. I think the Super NES came out when I was in 6th grade, so it stands to reason that K-6, I spent alot of time playing Nintendo. These are the top 5 games that kick me in the teeth with nostalgia that AREN'T the typical Zelda, Metroid, Mega Man, Contra, or Castlevania


Star Force - my FIRST NES game (after Super Mario Bros.) I would spend HOURS playing this game. In my mind, I was in the cockpit of that fighter defending whatever it was that needed defending. This game taught me to keep my NES on for DAYS at a time because I couldn't "save" my place. There was no continue option - you died when you died. I never beat it.


Ducktales - I got hooked on this at a friend's house. She was the best Ducktales player EVER. Even watching this video makes me miss side scrolling games - playful, cartoony, and pixely.


Battletoads - Sort of a side scrolling, but you could also scroll up and down. My friends all said it was just a Ninja Turtles rip off. BAH! Much fun was had with this game! It felt like an original story and was never meant to be taken seriously - those kinds of games are the best! You had to fight weird rhino things and flying robots - then get shot at from the POV of a gun - then rappel while killing crows - then ride a hover bike in some underground motherbrain level! Also - best graphics ever at the time.


Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - THIS GAME... was the source of so much frustration. Also - you could switch characters DURING game play! Playing this game also meant that I'd keep my NES on for days cuz there wasn't a save option. Also hated the water levels.


Super Mario Bros. 3 - This is what I think of when I think of Nintendo. I was introduced to this game through The Wizard (with Fred Savage and Christian Slater and some other people). That movie is where we all learned how to get to the warp zone. There were so many quirks and tricks to this game - getting 99 lives in level 2 - warp whistles - inventory - mini games - raccoon tail flying - big boot stompin' - swimming under boats - p-wings - and more.

Runners Up:
Kung Fu
Ninja Gaiden
RC Pro Am
Renegade

Next time (some day - top 5 Sega Games)

1 comment:

  1. Definitely TMNT! Good pick. You're right about the frustration, and you're right about the water levels. I get tense thinking about those levels.

    ReplyDelete