Mar 18, 2011

Things I love: Harry and Horsie



Written by Katie Van Camp and illustrated by Lincoln Agnew. This is a children's book about a boy who loses his friend, Horsie, when a bubble takes him into outer space. There's not much to say about this book except that it's wonderfully imaginative and beautifully illustrated.

I came across this book at the Pottery Barn. Riiiight? That's how you know it's classy, eh? Eh?? I also keep looking for copies at our Barnes & Noble, but they're consistently sold out.

It's unique because it's sort of like a comic book for kids. There are typical full page illustrations, but there are also pages that feature panels which pace the story. As Harry rides on a rocket, the panels give a sense of urgency as the camera zooms into a close up.

The illustrations feature a limited amount of colors. The thick chunky lines are very organic and the yellows, reds, and blues make each page pop. It's the kind of book that MAKES me want to draw.

As an adult, I love this book and am inspired by the artwork, but I know this book is special because my two children can't get enough of it. That's really what matters in the end, isn't it?

Pick it up for your kids or pick it up for inspiration, either way, you'll be happy you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment