Mar 11, 2011

Things I love: American Vampire



And to bring it back to comic books for a moment. I love this book. I've only read this graphic novel. I know there are new issues out, but I haven't picked them up yet.

Written by Scott Snyder and Steven King, American Vampire is the tale of the first American vampire told in two parts, jumping between the late 1800s and 1920s and is WILDLY violent - the way it should be... the way Anne Rice would have it (that's another thing I love for another time).

The 1800s story is about criminals and law enforcement and has your stereotypical 'really bad guy' and 'really good guy' but it's not lame. The characters are fleshed out and feel interesting in themselves. Throw some classic vampires into this and baby, you've got a stew goin'!

The 1920s tells the story of an aspiring actress with a work ethic that makes me depressed. This story is affected by the other and it's fun to watch both stories unravel at the same pace. Throw in some raw veggies, cup o soup, vampires and baby, you've got a stew goin'!

I'm not gonna lie - this story freaked me out in the same way that Dexter freaked me out. It wasn't SCARY, but I did lie awake at night thinking of it which led to WEIRD dreams. I highly recommend it.

1 comment:

  1. Scott Snyder is currently writing Detective Comics and it's dark and awesome!

    ReplyDelete